Rollcall - Sebring October 2 - 3

BigKeyserSoze wrote:

[quote]John:

I enjoy the SM competition, even if it is out of class technically. Racing close with anything, in or out of class, makes you a better racer. I also think that it takes one skill to drive fast, alone, on-line, and another to make consistent good decisions in traffic. Like how to use slower cars as a pick. How to pass cars at the right place that your competitors get stuck for 5 turns in a row while you drive off. How to pass cars off line while losing the least possible time. Which turns to pass in. There is just an entire skill set on passing slower cars, one that I have far from mastered but enjoy the opportunity to learn.

Plus, I like to double down, race SE30 in Lightning and PTD or whatever in Thunder. When PTA starts coming around, I’ll run the SE30 in Lightning and my Factory Five in Thunder in PTA.

I run the car every chance I get. I can’t wait for the next event.[/quote]

Very true, traffic is one of the hardest parts about racing and is something that we hopefully can talk about more and more in the future! My goal is to have a very nice sized (not too big) group for the lightning class, both SM & SE30. So far, there are not too many other cars that match our speed close enough, so unless we get some lower Honda Challenge cars showing up we should have the lightning group to ourselves.

How is everyone liking the race weekend format? Is the 15 minute combined warm-up, 20 minute qualifying, and 30 minute races working for everyone? I didn’t feel that we needed a warm up on sunday, so I suggested donating that track time to the thunder group to keep the racers that were used to the track time of the old combined group days happier than they were when we switched formats. I know the spec miata guys are perfectly happy with this format, as it is the most familiar format in the southeast scca (sarrc race series) and is easier on our budgets (not as much wear and tear and fuel). We can fine tune it as we get more input from the racers, so far I haven’t heard any feedback about it.

I would tend to think that we can build up the PT classes, as it is kind of a catch all class for multiple cars. It reminds me of the IT classes in the scca, but with nicer, newer cars. We are going to have group leadership additions in PT really soon, hopefully they can get it kick started…

We are also going to have some new racer incentives for entry fees, and I am working on some other things that can help us recruit more racers, but I really wish all of those guys out there building would get those projects done, they’re missing out on the good times and great contingency awards!

Since I was new to the track I did not like the 15 miunute warm up as it gave me no time to figure anything out. I was lost and the 15 minutes just wasn’t enough. As the weekend progressed things got better and in the Saturday race since I qualified last, it gave me the opportunity to get comfortable without traffic. Sunday was great.

You may want to consider some way for a new racer to ante up for additional track time by joining one of the HPDE groups for a session or two on Saturday.

John 5X Racing wrote:

I’m working on getting mine done, and like I said on the NASA forum I would like to know how you work your comp school / licensing to go racing. Do you have a date for it next season?

John 5X Racing wrote:

[quote]BigKeyserSoze wrote:

[quote]John:

Very true, traffic is one of the hardest parts about racing and is something that we hopefully can talk about more and more in the future! My goal is to have a very nice sized (not too big) group for the lightning class, both SM & SE30. So far, there are not too many other cars that match our speed close enough, so unless we get some lower Honda Challenge cars showing up we should have the lightning group to ourselves.

How is everyone liking the race weekend format? Is the 15 minute combined warm-up, 20 minute qualifying, and 30 minute races working for everyone? I didn’t feel that we needed a warm up on sunday, so I suggested donating that track time to the thunder group to keep the racers that were used to the track time of the old combined group days happier than they were when we switched formats. I know the spec miata guys are perfectly happy with this format, as it is the most familiar format in the southeast scca (sarrc race series) and is easier on our budgets (not as much wear and tear and fuel). We can fine tune it as we get more input from the racers, so far I haven’t heard any feedback about it.

I would tend to think that we can build up the PT classes, as it is kind of a catch all class for multiple cars. It reminds me of the IT classes in the scca, but with nicer, newer cars. We are going to have group leadership additions in PT really soon, hopefully they can get it kick started…

We are also going to have some new racer incentives for entry fees, and I am working on some other things that can help us recruit more racers, but I really wish all of those guys out there building would get those projects done, they’re missing out on the good times and great contingency awards![/quote]

I like Lightning and Thunder separate.

I agree with Al, 15 mins for the first practice is too short. It takes me that long to get warmed up, let alone try anything different.

I’d suggest running the 944s and maybe GTS3 in lightnig too. The slower 944s are right there with E30s and the slower Mazdas.

Finally start the BMWs first, Miatas second, and 944s last. That way everybody should have some traffic.

Thanks for your organization efforts and bring on the contingency programs.

Don

BigKeyserSoze wrote:

Ditto that!

Thanks to everyone for coming out this weekend - it was great time as always!

Al - it was great to see you again and meet your wife. You did a great job of picking up a really complicated race course. It’s an addictive place, I’m sure you’ll be back B) And thanks for having all the tools I didn’t have or had disappeared from the tool box.

Don - I’ll bring the bandaids next time. Let’s hope we don’t need them again.

Scott - Congrats on the new and improved class track record. I didn’t bring the A game this weekend - between the crappy brakes and the spin in the race on Saturday, I wasn’t picking up any time.
Admit it, at this point you have to be glad we Blacks bring a lot of spare parts and tools with us :slight_smile: You bringing me a new caliper next time?

Chris - It was a pleasure to finally meet you (and Mom too)! Looks like you’re making progress on the car - keep up the good work! Get that roll cage painted before it rust too badly. I hope you can make it down the next time we visit Sebring.

I much enjoyed the SpecE30 group dinner Saturday. The food was tasty and the company a pleasure.

Many thanks to all for the help wrenching on the car. I did find out that it was possible to change the rocker out - but I don’t think there was any chance of making the race. As opposed to the discussed option of drilling a hole in the firewall to slide the rod out the back to access the rear rockers, apparently the trick is to disconnect the radiator mounting brackets, the whole thing slides down far enough for the rod to come out the front end.

My to-do list includes:
-replacing the broken rocker
-replacing the cooling system hoses and flushing the radiator/system since it has to come off to slide the pivot rod out the front of the head and the hoses are 20 years old now
-replacing the timing belt since it has to come off and we last did it in late '04
-replacing the water pump because it’s always a ‘while you’re in there thing’ when you do the timing belt and we last did it in '04 with the timing belt

That should be it for now, I hope.

John -

Thanks for joining us here :slight_smile:

I have to agree, on Saturday the 15 minutes of practice barely gets the brain and tires warm. Even just 20 minutes would be better… the extra five should give you two almost two extra laps.

I like running with the Miatas in Lightning, I’d rather not deal with some of the Thunder hardware. I wouldn’t mind having the 944s run with us in Lightning, the speeds can similar enough to make it challenging to get around them sometimes. I think it can depend on car counts…

I’m enjoying the opportunity to work on racecraft in regard to passing - much like Scott mentioned. As someone who’s driven a momentum car forever, I’m pretty good at being passed, I don’t have as much time passing others. And having cars close enough to race with is great whether they’re in class or not.

I like Al’s idea about some sort of way for racers new to a track to get some extra time (perhaps running with 3 or TT) at a reduced rate. Something to consider if we want to try to draw in cars from the SE.

Thanks again for all the work you’ve done to help grow the FL race group B)

Natalie,

I am glad I got on here, I am learning a lot about your class and am getting some good feedback, all of it appreciated.

The warm-up… A short history:
I proposed the idea of a warm up for a couple of reasons, first is that it puts us one more session better than an SCCA double SARRC weekend (sat: 20 min qual/30 minrace, sun: same as sat) which was our main target for competition, and is a good promotional tool, as we have more track time for the same price or cheaper. Second, is because I personally like the idea of getting the cobwebs out from sitting for a month or more, getting the tires scrubbed, bedding brakes, making sure the car is working properly, checking out the track (anyone notice the big turn in cone for turn one was missing?), doing lead/follows, and generally making sure all systems are go. I do not use it for a flying lap or to get racy, like Q1 was… :(.

Also, a 15 minute session at sebring seems very short because it is a 4.5 mile track and takes 2:45 to get around for most cars. That’s only a couple of laps, I feel ya on that. I think it will seem better at HMS and PBIR since they are sub 2 minute laps.

I brought it up to Barbara at NASA about adding 5 minutes to the warm up anyways, maybe she can find it somewhere. She has everything timed to the second and every minute extra added to our sessions takes away from another session, so it’s a tough thing for them to work out. The HPDE people do pay A LOT more than we do, that might have something to do with it. Either way, I am here to get the feedback and see if I can help make our program better, so I relayed the message.

944’s in Lightning. It can be that way if we say so, but Nick chronically complains about losing the track time like NASA FL used to have before we changed the format, and Thunder gets more track time, so I figure having them in thunder would make him complain a little less? We could propose the opportunity and see if he wants to come to our group, not a problem. If you want practice passing people, you want him in your group! Holy pink porsche batwoman, that thing is 3 car widths wide. It took me forever to get around him at HMS last time, I had to wait till he made a mistake and drive my arse off to keep in front of him!

John

natblack wrote:

Yep, that is a guarantee. Looks like the next opportunity is perhaps winterfest. It’s not NASA, but PBOC/BMWCCA over 4 days and a lot of track time is very enticing. What do you think, done it?

Nat, it was a pleasure spending time with you and John as well.

I have done winterfest, it is a blast. Enduros, sprints, everything, and a perfect time of year, too.

Finally got the video from the Oct 2nd race at Sebring edited and produced and on my site via youtube embed. Check it out before youtube slams me for copyright infringement on the music and mutes it!

http://5xracing.com/p-4626-spec-miata-videos.html