Oil starvation at high rpm.

we’re not faulting you guys for jumping in with both feet. Shoot I’d love to take that trip to MM. Just giving a different perspective. Sometimes all the talk about oil pressure and engine failures makes it seem like the M20 is fragile.

Greg

Elephant4 wrote:

[quote]kishg wrote:

[quote]the question i’d ask is what did skeen have on his motor? :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Before his rebuild in 07 at Nationals (I think he came 3rd) he had 148-151 hp and 146-150 trq depending on the dyno run. It was his first time at Mid Ohio also. After his rebuild I vaguely remember it being around 155-156 in 2008 but certainly nothing outrageous.[/quote]

Skeen put in a build motor prior to Nationals. I have the motor that came out of the car for that swap. That is to say…the motor he used to kick our asses pre-Nationals07. It’s nothing special I ran it for a race last Spring. Bottom end seems fine, top end is probably due for a refresh. It’s one of the motors I’m taking to MM to rebuild.

my skeen comment was more along the lines of whether he had scraper/baffle on that motor.

He had a scraper on it.

87isMan wrote:

[quote]we’re not faulting you guys for jumping in with both feet. Shoot I’d love to take that trip to MM. Just giving a different perspective. Sometimes all the talk about oil pressure and engine failures makes it seem like the M20 is fragile.

Greg[/quote]

Greg, you are right, the M20 is not a fragile motor. IMHO, most of our failures are a result of user created issues during the rebuild or installation process. My advice to any newbie is to buy a used motor, install a TC Motorsports baffle ($89) with a crankscraper ($99) and drive the darn thing until your power (or lack there of) becomes your limiting factor in performance. The fact that so many racers are “competing” with 100K to 200K motors with absolutely no issue is a testament to the durability of this BMW engine.