New to Spec E30

June race at Sebring…E30 races both Saturday and Sunday, correct?

Yes, you got it!

I should be able to make it for Sunday’s activities. Should I have any problem obtaining a pit pass that morning at the track? I’m not sure how NASA’s paddock pass rules differ from other groups.

As long as you sign the waver at the guard station, you should have no trouble.

Hi all:

A little guidance would be appreciated…

As a background I raced HSR (Porsche) for a number of years then switched to Spec Miata (NASA-SCCA) and I am now looking to break into SpecE30.

Questions:

Is there a car (year, model, set-up) that you can run both Spec E30 in NASA and still run SCCA?

Have all of you done the modifications to SpecE30 yourself, or are there known shops who do it?

Where is the best place to shop for a Spec E30?

Thanks

John

john.smarge wrote:

[quote]Questions:

Is there a car (year, model, set-up) that you can run both Spec E30 in NASA and still run SCCA?

Have all of you done the modifications to SpecE30 yourself, or are there known shops who do it?

Where is the best place to shop for a Spec E30?

Thanks

John[/quote]

John,

Welcome.

Any year will work. There are advantages to later models (89 up) in the fuel system but older cars can be updated.

Spec E30s can run in ITS with SCCA but our spec is not optimum. You can still have fun but the car is not competitive with front running Mazdas or Hondas.

There are several shops that can do the work. I had mine built at D’elegance Auto in Largo.

This is the best place to shop for a completed SE30.

Now questions for you - What did you race in HSR and whose shop did you run out of? I rented a few rides in 2.4, 2.7. and a 3.6 Porsche. It was great fun but it was way too much money for me to keep up with.

Finally, where do you live?

Don

Alright another Florida guy. Manual transmission non convertible 325i or 325is E30s seem to be harder and harder to find, so take what you can get and start the process. Keys to look for are making sure if it is an i model that it REALLY has the i block and head on it. I have seen multiple threads where guys bought cars only to later find out they had an e head on it or an e engine. You can also check for the LSD 3.73 differential. I would also look for a manual transmission so you don’t have to look for all the parts to do the swap. The earlier models have a dual fuel pump setup and can suffer fuel starvation, but we also have REAL metal bumpers for a little bump drafting.

'87-91 are the years with our M20B25 engine. I think ABS’s first year was '86.

We are not a good fit in SCCA because no engine, engine management mods, nor suspension mods. But BMWCCA Club Racing now lets us run as a “foreign class”, and that’s perfect.

Welcome John!
Thrilled to have another racer in the region :slight_smile:

Now for your questions:

Don’s right about SCCA. You can do it, it’s fun. But it’s not competitive. Gary (SirGary) frequently raced with SCCA in FL before he totaled his car last fall. BMWCCA is a great group to run your e30 with now that they let you race as a SpecE30/foreign class. I try to run with them a couple times a year.

Do it yourself versus having a shop do it is a pretty individual decision. It depends on your skill set, how much time you have to devote to the car and your budget.
I’m not sure where you’re located, but for the things we don’t do ourselves, we take it to Vortex Motorsports (near Tampa Airport).

The forum is a wealth of information and experience - much of it learned the hard way by the members. Use it to your advantage!

Read the rulebook. Then read it again. Look at it from the viewpoint that if the rules don’t say you can do it, assume you can’t. If something doesn’t make sense feel free to reach out :wink:

Here’s a lead on a car that I know was for sale. I can’t say for sure if it’s still available or not:
[i]Overview:
Lapis Blue 325e with over 250k on the engine. Still runs perfect. I have a spare 325i engine and transmission with an est. 70k miles also included in the sale.

Send E-mail for Details.

I’ve owned this car for 11 years now; since I was 15. Everything has been looked at/taken care of. I have some old receipts from the previous owner, I am the third owner. The idea was to build a SE30 car but plans have changed.

I really want to sell the car with the spare 325i engine/tranny. Not interested in parting the car. It’s a solid car, just needs a bit more to be either a complete Spec E30 candidate.
$1.5k FIRM.

Located in Tampa, Fl.

Questions shoot an e-mail to: mabraham AT usf DOT edu
Photos: http://mabrahams.com/325/

[/i]

I have a 1987 325IS stock and complete, body good, interior rough, needs fuel tank and pumps, like all of them do, and all SE30 parts. $1000 and its yours.

I have a buddy who will take that. Can I get dibs? PM me your contact info.

Just talked to him, he is ready to buy it today.

Is he going to build and run with us?

(Say yes :slight_smile: )

Of course he is. I have showed him the videos and let him drive my car. I will be helping him build it up while he does DEs. I have another guy almost convinced as well. I figure if we can get a nice 3 car group in NW FL going things will be easier for all of us.

It looks like we are slowly building up a nice field for next year.

Hey John, this should give you an idea of what to expect while preparing a Spec E30. At least I thought it was good reading.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1989-bmw-325is/updates/1/

Call me 941-737-3922, my name is Scott. I’m selling it for what I have in it to get another car on track.

WinnMotorsports wrote:

We’re definitely making some progress!

Nobody called. Call me if serious. 941.737.3922.

I gave him your name and number. He just had a kid this weekend, so he has been running around like crazy. I will try to talk to him tonight. I’m sorry about this, he made it sound like he was ready to get it that day when I talked to him. I may end up buying it as well.