Merge of SpecE30 and Spec3

Sorry can’t agree with you, at all. As an example, the showroom stock class had forced inducation cars added when nobody agreed with it. They were added so a bunch of people built them since everyone knew they were basically unpoliceable. Won 3 championships in a row before they finally removed the cars from the class. That’s a whole hell of a lot of money that a bunch of people missed out on, including myself.

Even when letters were pouring in from the racers, the board did nothing.

And the time frame you are referencing is 25 years ago…way before NASA existed!!! Maybe you have been away too long…things have changed!!

Ryan has been racing a while but not that long. :laugh: I assume, among others, he’s talking about the SSB Mini Cooper S debacle from about 10 year or so ago. I was also racing SS back in that time period, thankfully not in SSB.

Both organizations have their problems, I found the key to my happiness is to stay out of the politics and out of the classes that are volatile, hence choosing to racing in SpecE30.

I think merging these classes is a bad idea but I also know talking about it online it’s going to do much. Before any attempt at equalization should even be thought of, get a pro driver in the seat of both on the same day/same conditions. I’m sure you could get Skeen to do it at VIR and he’s already familiar with the cars. I think the gap will be greater than Carter seems to think it is.

Ryan has been racing a while but not that long. :laugh: I assume, among others, he’s talking about the SSB Mini Cooper S debacle from about 10 year or so ago. I was also racing SS back in that time period, thankfully not in SSB.

Both organizations have their problems, I found the key to my happiness is to stay out of the politics and out of the classes that are volatile, hence choosing to racing in SpecE30.

I think merging these classes is a bad idea but I also know talking about it online it’s going to do much. Before any attempt at equalization should even be thought of, get a pro driver in the seat of both on the same day/same conditions. I’m sure you could get Skeen to do it at VIR and he’s already familiar with the cars. I think the gap will be greater than Carter seems to think it is.[/quote]

I would completely agree, and which cars are you going to pick for the comparison? The only ones that make any sense are the national champion cars, which should represent the best of the class.

There are front running SE30 cars in MidAtlantic. No one really knows about Spec3.

Has anybody else besides me read the Spec3 rules and said WTF at all the allowances and substitutions?

This is still going on?! Dang…

:slight_smile:

One thing I have gleamed from this thread that is a possible change that most may agree with is to allow Vert back in to the class. It doesn’t seem like there is much reason not to include them since they have to meet the same weight requirements, and would have to run a full cage anyways. Hey, it works for SM, why not us?

I agree to have the verts back in the class, with the same hard top requirement as the miatas.

there are front running spec3 cars in midatlantic as well

Compared to what? :evil:

Part of my point being there are so few, and second, they are still infants when it comes to a competitive/developed class.

Are you kidding? Have you priced (or lifted :sick:) an OEM hardtop? The cost far exceeds what most of you cheap bastards think is reasonable for a whole donor car.

Remember? The whole argument for opening up the class to Spec3 was the dwindling supply of cheap donors. :evil:

PS - Allowing convertibles to run in Spec Miata works only because the coupe and sedan versions are so rare.

Are you kidding? Have you priced (or lifted :sick:) an OEM hardtop? The cost far exceeds what most of you cheap bastards think is reasonable for a whole donor car.

Remember? The whole argument for opening up the class to Spec3 was the dwindling supply of cheap donors. :evil:

PS - Allowing convertibles to run in Spec Miata works only because the coupe and sedan versions are so rare.[/quote]

Wait, the roof part is heavy? Can’t be.

Did they ever make a Miata wagon?

[quote=“Foglght” post=75046]

Did they ever make a Miata wagon?[/quote]

lol, it kind of looks like a Mini Countryman…with the carp face and a deer in headlights look.

Hell, lets drop 150 lbs and add coilovers and go racing with SM. Then the pro-vert guys can buy carbon fiber tops.

The simple fix to the so called shortage of cheap spec e30’s—Just allow Verts to the class…There are about 17 billion of these available & you can find build cars all day long for $200-500.

Some of you on the forum will debate the unfair advantage of the Vert until the cows come home. I’d like to know from all of you if the perception of this unfair advantage is fact or fiction? How many of you have actually ever raced a vert spec e30? How many of you have ever done a side by side or back to back test with a Vert vs sedan?
All the theory aside, the Vert has only a handful of actual advantages. 1. Easy access for building a cage. 2.Easy access for ingress/egress.3. Less surface area when you are washing your car 4. Can work on your tan while driving. Beyond that, whatever unfair advantage arguments you want to throw at me, I will call BULLSHIT cuz you don’t know because you don’t own the only legal spece30 in NASA, I do. And my experience after running an entire season of spec e30 in the most competitive region in the country suggests NO unfair advantage.

Allowing Verts to be in the class would probably provide another decade or 2 of spec e30 racing should sedan donor cars simply dry up.

I’d rather race against a convertible instead of an E36. That’s for sure.

After racing door to door with Charlie at Nationals, I have no issue with allowing convertibles. The “advantage” was all in the driver.

Was it a safety issue or performance as to why they were banned?

I would say the ban was most likely put in place from the perceived unfair advantage of no roof, stiffer chassis/low CG and reinforced front shock tower, rather than a safety issue, in fact, I think the Vert is actually safer in that it is easier to extract a driver. That said, driver needs to wear arm restraints.

Yep. Me too.

As I have raced a Spec e30 vert with both MA and SE I guess I should comment…

The vert has a serious disadvantage on tracks with a long straight…The hardtop makes a huge difference there. Personally I think the hardtop should be illegal, it is rare and cost $$$… I “won” a race at CMP…it was really handed to me but anyway it is a handling track where tires mean everything and HP does not matter much…I really had a 3rd or 4th place car, not on fresh tires, etc…

I really do not think the vert has any real advantage, maybe a car built to the limit with a really good driver on a really short course…definitely not at RA where the nationals are for us this year. I like running my car without the hardtop…it feels “vintage” and I am tall and it is really easy to get in and out.

Thanks

Al