How to: transmission catch can install

Are you guys removing the slave cylinder? I can’t even get a finger on the vent. If I remove the transmission mounts/brace, can I safely lower the tranny a few inches?

Yes you can remove the tranny brace, but unless you loosen the engine mounts the tranny won’t drop much. What you might try is removing not the brace but the tranny and engine mounts.

The trick to this is getting the hose clamp at the very end of the hose so the clamp has good purchase on the short vent pipe. Use a thin OEM clamp, not a wider aftermarket one. Then always be gentle with that hose so you don’t tug it off.

Thanks, will do

There is a very particular method of wedging your hand up there. I try to go up there just forward of the slave cylinder, laying under the car, with my right arm, head pointing toward the front of the car.

My hand hurt for 3 days after trying to get it to stay on while I tightened the hose clamp. BTW, I did use the really cheap hose clamps from Auto Zone that have a hand crank type clamp. It was the only thing that would work (for me).

Actually ended up fitting the hose for the catch can down through the firewall padding and allowing just enough slack to get the hose to mostly stay put while I cranked down the hose clamp. It was made especially difficult by the fact the hose had come off due to not having the clamp on there in the first place, which meant oil was everywhere from the last race weekend and hoses don’t like to stay put on lubricated surfaces…:silly: