Fuel Sample Port??

Anybody got any post install photos yet?

Where are people mounting this thing, I can’t find anything in the CCR about fuel ports. I was going to run it after the fuel filter. A bit of pain to get to but avoids a port in the hot engine bay. Is anyone putting one in the engine bay if so where. Where are the rules that cover this?

I have not installed mine yet. Actually I have not even unloaded the car from last race. I plan to install on Wednesday at the track. Without any rule on where to put it and such, anything is just a guess. I think it is actually illegal per our current rules. Until we get a rule I plan to install it in such a way that it is easy to change. That being said, I plan to put it right after the fuel pressure regulator in the return hose for now. I think per SCCA it needs to go into the supply line. I am going to add a small hose from the tee to the FPR and then hook the original fuel line to the other end of the tee. Leaving enough line to hook back to the FPR so I can remove it later and be compliant with the rules again.

Thanks Mike, I’m going to do the same.

[quote=“Elephant4” post=59532]
Thanks Mike, I’m going to do the same.[/quote]

I mean Michael :lol:

I’ll pick mine up Wednesday too. I’m glad you guys will be there so I don’t blow myself up.

A related problem to the spec fuel…What’s the best way to empty the now illegal fuel from the gas tank?

For the Runoffs in the T3 car, I’ve just left the fuel sample port open & draining to a jug and let the car run until it stumbles.

My solution to this problem is to run six sessions on Wednesday. That should be plenty to drain it all.

Matt

This fuel port becomes more annoying every day I have to waste time working on it. So today I tried to get the 8-9 gallons or so of fuel out of the car. First thing I tried was the old siphon the tank by sucking method. After 3 inhales of gas fumes and wondering how many brain cells I just destroyed I realised I wasn’t getting the tube into the tank. So I thought I would try out my newly installed fuel port. It didn’t work…great. So I removed the port and just stuck a hose on the end of the fuel pressure regulator. That got about 5 gallons out but now no more fuel is coming out now. I’m not sure how to run the pump and get the gas out and honestly I’m done wasting my time on this thing.

Not sure why the fuel port did not work to empty the tank. If you want to run the fuel pump without starting the easy way is to just jumper the fuel pump relay. I would do this with the kill switch off while you insert the wires to avoid spark around fuel. Then use the kill switch to turn it on and off. Figure out which relay is the fuel pump and then jumper the two big wires together. Not sure which pin numbers they are.

Ok so I’m an idiot. A combination of not knowing how to use the fuel port and a funny reading gas gauge means I just wasted my time moving the fuel port to down by the fuel filter. Oh well it works now and I think I have an almost empty tank. I’ll drain the rest at the track before I fill with the magic track fuel. Note to self the gas line by the fuel filter might have some pressure in the line I now smell like someone bathed me in fuel. Lucky I quit smoking I guess :silly:

My solution to this problem is to run six sessions on Wednesday. That should be plenty to drain it all.

Matt[/quote]

I ended up taking out the fuel level sender and siphoning it out from there.