Fuel Level Gauge?????????

[quote=“lateracer” post=62106]The longest possible enduros I can imagine doing are the 24hour runs. Most of the races are Lemons/Chump Car, which are about 7 hours per day (working my way to Spec one day). Sometimes things go smoothly and fuel/driver changes go according to a predictable schedule. Most of the driver shifts are about two hours, but sometimes they can run near 3 if we have several of “unplanned” stops early on.

I spend my work days deciding what does or doesn’t go on a screen someone’s using for a specific task that requires most/all of their attention. I’ve noticed the same problems that show up in those circumstances show up in a race car. Specifically, drivers who don’t know the car that well sometimes miss important lights/gauges in the heat of the moment…like the oil level light… so I’m also looking to get the factory cluster out from behind the wheel. The end goal is to provide an environment that allows me to say “If any red lights blink or you hear a buzzer, something needs attention quickly”

Dgorman, thanks for the heads up about damping and calibration. I’ll throw some debounces or pauses into the coding to damp the reading process. I assumed the resistance reading was linear. My tank is getting near empty, so I’ll plan to drain it and take readings at 1 gallon increments when I fill it.

I could see how other people have actually used arduino for this and not posted about it before. It’s pretty easy. All the code you need for both the fuel gauge and a speedo comes with the software.[/quote]

Make sure it’s truly empty… You might waste a lot of calibration time thinking your tank is 100% empty when it’s not :slight_smile:

This is something that I’ve played around with a bit as well. The arduino code is pretty easy, and I’d be happy to share what I have so far.

Here’s what it looks like just using a potentiometer to vary the resistance. Ideally you would want to map the range out instead of assuming linear rate.

http://vimeo.com/33483335

Anybody tried one of these?
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/data-and-video-systems/icm-fuel-sender.html

[quote=“jlucas” post=62950]Anybody tried one of these?
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/data-and-video-systems/icm-fuel-sender.html[/quote]

We have a shop one. You have to tell them the ohm range and they will swap out R1 with a different resistor (no biggie) so that you get to a close 0-5v swing from empty to full.

It works fairly well, however, if you want to play with the dampening, you’re soldering resisitors over and over again but works fairly well for the most part.

Semi related question, is it easy to tap into the OE dash low fuel light to trigger an external warning light?

As long as you keep the existing dash electronics. I would check the voltages and additional light ohm loads. LED probably would be bright enough with little load. Again check the voltages/ohm loads first.

Or just swap out the OE fuel gauge to a better analog gauge.

For those that know electronics, the arduino due just came out with two built in proper 12bit DAC. That means 4096 steps for 0-5v instead of the not so accurate 1024 8bit via PWM ( watch out for the circuit ringing :wink: unless you already had a DAC shield, but was still 8bit)

I’m going to upload my calibrated sketch and use the proper DAC in the coming month or so and see how it works out with, hopefully, the new MXL II. Sadly no built-in ohm based channel like motec, but is very awesome in many other ways…cough on board maths cough

I’d like to dump my cluster and go with a tach w/shift light and fuel sensor. I have SPA oil-tmp/press and h20-tmp/volt gauges.

Any new ideas on a “easy to install” fuel gauge and setup???

Whats the best “valued-engineered” easy to install tach setup?

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise!

87 325is (5/87 build)