Cracked flex on exhaust downpipe

When I installed my spec exhaust I took some metal strapping (like found at hardware stores to mount ducting) and wrapped it around the front section of the pipe and attached that to the tranny support just in case it comes off so its stays on the car. It does not support at all but a bit of extra insurance in case it does come off. I don’t think it will but you never know and its better than launching exhaust parts at my fellow competitors.

laz wrote:[quote]
I’m confused. Where’d the CO come from? If the exhaust was unharmed, wouldn’t it all exit at the back of the vehicle?[/quote]

The cars in front of him… there have been a multitude of studies related to CO poisoning in race cars. All of them deal with OTHER cars exhausts getting into a car behind them.

Here’s a thought…install one of these inside your race car: 12v Carbon Monoxide detector made for cars :cheer: :

Product name: Car Carbon Monoxide Detector with USB Port
Product description:
Features:

1. Simply connects into the cigar jack in car
  2. Detect any build-up of carbon monoxide in vehicle
  3. LED indicates:
    a) Warm up: green LED flash
    b) Caution (50ppm): yellow LED flash
    c) Alarm with beep sounds (200ppm): red LED flash
  4. Sensor fault indication
  5. Quick response
  6. USB port (DC5.0V) used for some USB product, such as USB charger, USB light
  7. Operating voltage: DC 12V (lighter power jack)
  8. Unit dimensions: 105 x 40 x 20mm (approx.)

http://www.openrussia.ru/catalogitems/5254/Car-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-with-USB-Port.htm

Here’s another one I found:

Pocket CO Model 300 is the world’s smallest and most affordable carbon monoxide detector, alarm and dosimeter. About the size of a key fob and weighing less than 1 oz., this wearable instrument is a highly sensitive, reliable and popular instrument. Range: 0 - 500ppm; first alarm at 50ppm, second at 125ppm, third at 400ppm. Also has an 8-hour TWA warning alarm at 25ppm. The instrument self-checks upon start and carries a 2 year instrument warranty.The Pocket CO may be purchased on-line ($139) at http://www.detectcarbonmonoxide.com/

lol

sneville44 wrote:

[quote]Here’s a thought…install one of these inside your race car: 12v Carbon Monoxide detector made for cars :cheer: :

Product name: Car Carbon Monoxide Detector with USB Port
Product description:
Features:

1. Simply connects into the cigar jack in car
  2. Detect any build-up of carbon monoxide in vehicle
  3. LED indicates:
    a) Warm up: green LED flash
    b) Caution (50ppm): yellow LED flash
    c) Alarm with beep sounds (200ppm): red LED flash
  4. Sensor fault indication
  5. Quick response
  6. USB port (DC5.0V) used for some USB product, such as USB charger, USB light
  7. Operating voltage: DC 12V (lighter power jack)
  8. Unit dimensions: 105 x 40 x 20mm (approx.)

http://www.openrussia.ru/catalogitems/5254/Car-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-with-USB-Port.htm

Here’s another one I found:

Pocket CO Model 300 is the world’s smallest and most affordable carbon monoxide detector, alarm and dosimeter. About the size of a key fob and weighing less than 1 oz., this wearable instrument is a highly sensitive, reliable and popular instrument. Range: 0 - 500ppm; first alarm at 50ppm, second at 125ppm, third at 400ppm. Also has an 8-hour TWA warning alarm at 25ppm. The instrument self-checks upon start and carries a 2 year instrument warranty.The Pocket CO may be purchased on-line ($139) at http://www.detectcarbonmonoxide.com/[/quote]

Hi All,
There is supposed to be a wire mesh flex pipe that is the OEM factory replacement. I do not know the part number or where to purchase the part. I am in the process right now to verify that it is a legal part to fix the cracked flex pipes. I noticed several cars with this fix and left them alone. You cannot build anything custom or add the Honda flex pipes. Not legal DQ.
In addition at our last event there was a car with a custom built exhaust. Not legal. We gave the option of a fun run or DQ.
I also found another car with a chrome tip welded on. Not legal. It is a log book entry to remove before next event.
As long as all tech inspectors stay on top of the rules and enforce them this series will not end up like Spec Miata. They now spend 5-10k for an engine and 4k for a transmission.

Hi all,
Here is the information that I have found out.
The steel mesh flex coupling is not an OEM BMW part. You should be able to get one that is the correct diameter and length from a muffler shop. This is the only valid fix other than new downtubes from an auto wrecker (if you can find one, I tried for 4 weeks) or the dealer (very expensive!!!). All of the other fixes are not legal.
Any kind of protest from this fix would be done out of spite and is you know what.

rsafreno wrote:

[quote]Hi All,
There is supposed to be a wire mesh flex pipe that is the OEM factory replacement. I do not know the part number or where to purchase the part. I am in the process right now to verify that it is a legal part to fix the cracked flex pipes. I noticed several cars with this fix and left them alone. You cannot build anything custom or add the Honda flex pipes. Not legal DQ.
In addition at our last event there was a car with a custom built exhaust. Not legal. We gave the option of a fun run or DQ.
I also found another car with a chrome tip welded on. Not legal. It is a log book entry to remove before next event.
As long as all tech inspectors stay on top of the rules and enforce them this series will not end up like Spec Miata. They now spend 5-10k for an engine and 4k for a transmission.[/quote]

…Or we could address the actual problem and build a decent exhaust system. BTW, thanks for the DQ when you let others slide with just a logbook note, way to build the series bud.

Not a pretty picture, but the rules is what the rules is, and common sense does not always have a say-so. Watch the sour grapes.

Mike, you should race in the Southeast where we all race in peace and harmony.

Seriously, the Southeast has gone through growing pains, too. I’m hopeful that the flex thing can be resolved with the rules makers. I could give an opinion, 100 others could give an opinion… We could all agree. But, you MUST realize that this forum is pretty much for the entertainment of racers and that your request for changes should be made to the rules guy and/or committee. Bantering here is a waste of time.

Good luck,
Robert Patton

rsafreno wrote:

mikeski38 wrote:

Wow, for real?

Richard, I haven’t met you, but this is hippocritical. If you want everyone to play by the letter of the rule, then everyone, including you, should play by them. I’ll give you a ping if I see a usable exhaust downpipe at pick n pull.

Hi All
I am not interested in keeping bantering going. I was just trying to help. However here are a couple of responses.
1)I am not racing Spec E30 yet. I am trying to build my car based on the rules. If I have any questions I submit them and keep the responses for documentation. If I do something wrong when my car is finished then I should also get a DQ. We are all playing by the same rules.
2)I do not know who mikeski38 is but I did not DQ any cars. If it is the car with the custom exhaust that was a correct DQ. Any performance enhancing item (exhaust, excessive camber, excessive width, etc are DQ items). Any non performance enhancing items (chrome tip, painting rotors, etc are log book entries, fix by next event). Per the rules the spec exhaust cannot be changed at all except for slight bending to fit it if needed. No Honda flexes. No special flanged flex. No custom exhaust. No chrome tips.
3)In response to the mesh fix here are 2 quotes from the responses. “ We do want to keep costs down and if there is no difference in the performance, and it costs less than OEM, it can be considered.” “ I’d say go ahead and replace it with a flex…someone would have to be really chickenshit to protest it.”
4)Laz I do not know who you are but if you can find down tubes I would definitely be interested. I have been unsuccessful so far. Thank you. rsafreno@att.net
5)FYI, eventually we will be checking camber and width. Make sure you are within specs. You probably won’t be able to fix camber at the track.

Quote 5)FYI, eventually we will be checking camber and width. Make sure you are within specs. You probably won’t be able to fix camber at the track.[/quote]

Come on guys, fixing camber is a 10 minute job.

You knock it in, you knock it out. That is why the max number was written in…experience had shown that something had to be bent (Re: professionally, see Ireland web site, or by wear and tear to the strut itself), hence a rule that “was not to exceed.”

Guess those in the region will have to discuss with their series director.

Regards, Robert (racing in harmony in the Southeast) Patton

rsafreno wrote:

[quote] If it is the car with the custom exhaust that was a correct DQ. Any performance enhancing item (exhaust, excessive camber, excessive width, etc are DQ items). Any non performance enhancing items (chrome tip, painting rotors, etc are log book entries, fix by next event). Per the rules the spec exhaust cannot be changed at all except for slight bending to fit it if needed. No Honda flexes. No special flanged flex. No custom exhaust. No chrome tips.
3)In response to the mesh fix here are 2 quotes from the responses. “ We do want to keep costs down and if there is no difference in the performance, and it costs less than OEM, it can be considered.” “ I’d say go ahead and replace it with a flex…someone would have to be really chickenshit to protest it.”
[/quote]

…with that logic, you’ve got to be “really chickenshit” to have an issue with my exhaust, identical in every way to the spec, except better fitment and a flex joint, which are both safety enhancing details, not performance. And cheaper…

Mike, its in the rules, I don’t know anything about your exhaust but if its a copy of the spec exhaust its not legal.

[quote]9.3.4.1.1. The spec exhaust system must be purchased from the Spec E30 approved
supplier (Paul Poore pepco2@verizon.net)[/quote]