Cooling fans

:silly:

rrroadster wrote:

[quote]I just completed mechanical installation of a Spal 30102047(2360 CFM pusher)In the front of my car. Here’s a couple of pics.

For simplicity, I’d just like to connect it to the stock radiator T-stat. Anybody got pics/instructions for that? I’m getting short on time.[/quote]

I know I found some threads about how to do it on e30tech. I’m going to pick up my car from the cage builder today, and I can look at how I wired it up. There are actually 2 different fan kick on temperatures, and I know I hooked mine up for the lower temp one.

no fan. no gauges. no problems.

Now—tires… there’s my problem

Ok, cut the aux fan wiring harness out of the aux fan. Crimped on a couple of spade connectors and connected to the Spal fan. Cranked the car up and let it heat up until the tick mark before on it’s way to the red zone. Fan did not come on. What am I missing? Note: wiring to heater/AC controls is not connected.

I dont think that circuit kick it on till you are nearing red. I know I reversed some pins in the connector so it kicks on at a lower temp.

Like swapped Hi Lo radiator sender connections?

Yep. You just pull apart the connector and swap two of the pins in it.

I planned to put a switch in the dash and just turn it on when I pit, or whenever I’m moving slow. I don’t see why to mess with the thermostats unless you still drive it on the street.

Why add new wiring when you can use what’s already in place?

Couldn’t get the stock temp controls to work satisfactorily - fan didn’t come on until things were too hot.

Got a relay with temp control built in it at Advance Auto - ~$35.

Connected low voltage +12 to single yellow wire that connects into back of fan on/speed control switch. Took hi voltage +12 from battery junction. Shoved thermocouple vertically between fins and endcap on pass side of radiator next to coolant exit.

Fan won’t run in switch off position, runs wide open at all speeds. Set tstat to come on at about 215-220 F. Done.

rrroadster wrote:

[quote]Couldn’t get the stock temp controls to work satisfactorily - fan didn’t come on until things were too hot.

Got a relay with temp control built in it at Advance Auto - ~$35.

Connected low voltage +12 to single yellow wire that connects into back of fan on/speed control switch. Took hi voltage +12 from battery junction. Shoved thermocouple vertically between fins and endcap on pass side of radiator next to coolant exit.

Fan won’t run in switch off position, runs wide open at all speeds. Set tstat to come on at about 215-220 F. Done.[/quote]

that’s pretty much the same setup my car came with. dunno how accurate the sensor is but it’s adjustable so i set it to come on when my gauge reads 215 or so, has worked well so far.

215 sounds damn hot. And I’d like to leave mine on for a while after I turn the engine off.

turbo329is wrote:

I’m not sure that does much since the water pump isn’t running.

I ordered the be-cool fan and got it a few days ago. I opened up the box which said be-cool on it and inside is a spal (http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=30102120). So it appears I bought an overpriced spal in a different box. Hooray for researching before you buy. A lot of good it did me.

turbo329is wrote:

Why not just use the aux fan?

Mine was junk and I wanted a puller.