Cage Design Questions

ddavidv wrote:

[quote]
Just be sure you don’t trap the wiring harness behind the cage. :ohmy:[/quote]

I know this is old, but i couldn’t find where in the NASA CCR or SpecE30 rules it states that wires musn’t be between the body and the rollcage. (I have in fact seen a few pictures on here with just that)

Before I weld a cage in, can I get some clairification on this? Thanks.

You can do what you want. It’s advised to avoid routing between the cage and chassis so your car doesn’t get wires cut/grounded if hit on the side. Having to get a tow off track sucks. Plus, if the harness gets cut you’re in for some not too fun electrical repairs.

I understand the “why” but areas like thse nicely recessed harness along the rocker, and the big gap between the rear harness and downtube going to the rear spring perches are places that if the body crshed the harness against the cage, it would be a moot point on harness repair. I’ve heard rumors that some sactioning bodies say it’s verboten to have the harness between the cage and body period

Is this an issue with anyone who runs over several series? (i.e: ITA, KP, GTS, so on?)

I just finished my car. The cage installer ran the wires between the cage and body. For the logbook issue it is noted and must be fixed before next event. If crushed this can start an electrical fire. Do not route your wires between the cage and the body.

I agree that it is good practice to not route wires between the cage and chassis, but I don’t believe I’ve ever read a rule like that for NASA, SCCA IT, or BMWCCA
bruce

This is obviously a regional issue. I just received a logbook for a new car (we have had 3 cars) with the wires behind the cage. No infractions noted. I do understand the logic, but in 2 of the 3 cars we have, the wires are routed behind the cage but shrouded in header wrap. Based on this discussion, I will likely reroute the passenger side battery cable from behind the cage. The drivers side will likely stay the same, as it is unlikely, even with a major hit, the wires will ground out on the chassis.
It seems advisable to do whatever possible, if you have wires outside of the cage, to protect them from chassis contact.
Ed

Well, seeing as I should have a proper cage in the next month or two, I’m going to take the time to make sure the wires are all routed to the inside of the cage. No sense in risking a logbook issue in the future.