bimmerworld swaybars fitting Qs

Ranger is right there is only one way it will fit over the diff. It is the same orientation as pictured on Bimmerworld’s site. I still had to drop the diff and muscle it a bit…

Tom

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I have the entire rear end in pieces in my garage. Since I’d heard all the rear sway “snaking” horror stories, figured I’d put that thing on first as I start to reassemble it. When there’s nothing else there, there’s not really any clearance issues. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

All that stuff out and I still had a hell of a time with those mounts. Finally got it on – two hours and a lot of swearing later. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the confirmation!

Som

Are the BW bars known to have clearance issues with the trunk bottom? I’m rotating the bar and it seems like it rubs against the trunk. Could just be against he insulation on the trunk though. Is it common to have to burn/scrape away the insulation just to get that added millimeter of clearance?

I didn’t think it was going to be a problem at first because I thought maybe the range of motion was going to limit the bar to only rotating where it doesn’t scrape. But now that I’ve got the subframe in position (not yet bolted, fortunately), I’m realizing that unless my links are about 2 inches long and my suspension doesn’t plan on compressing – the hump in the middle of the bar is going to scrape the trunk.

Common?

And to reiterate previous sentiments – damn it’d be nice if these bars came with simple instructions. Even the fact that the mounts are asymmetrical but identical threw me off – I thought they gave me 2 left (or right) mounts at first.

/complaining

Som

The bar goes in only one way. The mounts go in only one way. Thread discusses tight fit and length of end links. Be strong.

Yeah, I had the bar and mounts on right, but it would still rub against the insulation of the trunk bottom (haven’t even gotten to checking half shaft clearance).

I had to burn/scrape it away to get clearance. It’s still rubs lightly, but I’m pretty sure it’s beyond the range of motion of the suspension.

Seems like a production tolerance issue. I hesitate to believe the geometry of the mounts to trunk bottom has changed over time like other components would. 2 or 3mm of a smaller bump in the bar would have been enough to clear the diff and not scrape the trunk.

Oh well, it’s in now. :slight_smile: Gonna try the “10 thread” route for the links… Figuring that’ll keep me in the clear on the half shafts.

Thanks for the help again!

Som

Heck of a battle Som!