Bilstien Shock Discussion

Super secret Bavarian rasberry sauce?

Yup, just need to blow it first.

I talked to James Clay today about this. His take is that we should quit being so hesitant to raise the front of our cars a bit.

Can I squeeze anymore James Clay info out of you lol? Is it just an issue with the front or does the whole car need to be raised? Rack? If whole car needs to be at a higher height?

The discussion with James was about our lack of bump travel due to OEM strut housings and various solutions…one of which being cutting our struts and going to a shorter strut insert. The charm of raising the car’s front end is that it’s free. James’ point was that the idea that “lower is always better” is wrong. Suspension is complicated and there’s lots of variables. But there is one thing that we can most certainly depend on…of the various solutions to our lack of bump travel, raising the front of the car is the cheapest solution.

The discussion wasn’t about the rear nor about the rack.

Im assuminh trimming bumpstops is against the rules. Although, I dont see why its not something to look into as it doesnt effect the valving.

Back when I started with the old springs, I pointed out that there is an advantage to trim the bump stop. Even H&R sends you a document with the springs explaining to trim the bump stop. Now with the new spring setup, the top plate stack up counteracts the bump stop. Where I would be worried now to bottom out the wheel inside the fender before bottoming the bump stop.

Yes, trimming bumpstops is against the rules. The rules are designed to limit cost. Every additional mod the rules allow adds cost. Or adds hassle if you do your own work.

The top plate “counteracts” the bump stop?

Bottoming out the wheel inside the fender? The new springs aren’t an opportunity to lower the front of your car. The springs effort helped us realize that we’ve been driving on our bumpstops all these years. The springs allow us to raise our front ends and get some suspension travel back. Sure, there’s going to be some hardheads that instead lower their cars. . Freedom includes the freedom to pursue bad ideas.

I raised my front end ~20mm.

New setup has less top plate stack up. For the same ride height, the shock can travel more before bottoming out.

With that said, in the past, on my other car, I have ran into the issue where my wheel would touch the inside of the fender/whitebody/frame. Basicly, the bump stop was not preventing my wheel from traveling too far, causing weird wheel lockups.

About raising the front end. We can have much better roll centers now! Still studying and would need to take some actual dimensions, but there are basic actions that make good amounts of difference. Biggest advantage is the diameter of our spring.