Battery Tie-Down Pics?

Has anyone mounted the battery in the spare tire well? Makes some sense to put the weight lower and centered in the chassis. Is this safe and legal?

You could do that, but the spare tire well is pretty weak (just a few spot welds hold it in). And the spare tire well is in the crush zone, just like where the battery normally mounts. Personally I want the battery and it’s cables in a better protected spot and have mine mounted between the shock towers.

I like the idea between the shock towers. I think I may mount it in a marine style battery box with a vent tube. Thanks!

[quote=“King Tut” post=67180]I used two threaded rods and a piece of square stock. It definitely was a tight fit to get the rod inbetween the battery and the body of the car to the right of where Ranger welded his though. Here is a pic before I swapped the too bendable flat stock for some square stock:

[/quote]

I like your setup. I tried to order terminal covers similar to what you had but didn’t work out dimensionally. (looks similar isn’t quite the same as sized similar) Could you happen to share where you tracked those down from?

I ended up finding this and ordering it to give it a try but thought it would be worth an ask.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O7SAO52

Speaking from experience, the stock placement doesn’t survive in a wreck that has any gusto, so , in a marine box between the towers is a good idea!

Here in Norcal we need to be in a box to be compliant…

[quote=“rwh11385” post=81056][quote=“King Tut” post=67180]I used two threaded rods and a piece of square stock. It definitely was a tight fit to get the rod inbetween the battery and the body of the car to the right of where Ranger welded his though. Here is a pic before I swapped the too bendable flat stock for some square stock:

[/quote]

I like your setup. I tried to order terminal covers similar to what you had but didn’t work out dimensionally. (looks similar isn’t quite the same as sized similar) Could you happen to share where you tracked those down from?

I ended up finding this and ordering it to give it a try but thought it would be worth an ask.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O7SAO52[/quote]

Different rules for different regions really bothers me. I got those terminal covers from the local Advance Auto Parts and modified them to work around the OEM BMW battery terminals.

I welded a barrel nut and used a piece of threaded rod.
[attachment=2098]BatteryHoldDown.jpg[/attachment]

Are you sure about the NorCal rule? I don’t have my battery in a marine box and I know of other cars that have been tech’d and not in a marine box, either. I was under the impression the marine box was only necessary if you were going to move the wire inside cabin (inside of the trunk wall).

For my tie down, I created 2 brackets with thread couplers welded to them (similar to Scott’s solution, but I didn’t weld to the trunk floor). I created an L bracket that I bolted to the holes that are in that flange sticking out of the wheel well, and another bracket that I bolted to the flange sticking up at the edge of the trunk floor. The rest is the same idea as

L-bracket bolted to flange on wheel well

Bracket bolted to flange on trunk floor

Som

It was a huge deal at the time but if your battery/trunk is 100% sealed from the drivers compartment you were ok, otherwise,

Tech Note Regarding Battery Acid/Fume Protection for SE30s:

To accommodate those racers who missed either the June/August 2011 event(s) and were not aware of this enforcement action, NASA Tech has moved the compliance date for getting batteries compliant with CCR Rule 18.8 out until the first event of the 2012 season.

2012 Annual Safety Inspections will enforce Rule 18.8 therefore all our SE30s should be compliant by the first event.

NASA warns that non-compliant cars will be subject to fines.

Thanks,
Scott

18.8 Battery
The battery shall be securely fastened down to the car. No Bungee cords or rubber cords may be used to function as the sole hold down mechanism. An electrically non conductive material must cover the positive battery terminal. Any battery located inside the driver’s compartment shall be fully covered and firmly secured to the chassis in a marine type battery case. True dry cell batteries may be mounted without a surrounding case, however a case is still recommended. Note- there is a difference between “dry cells” and “gel cells.” Gel cells still need to be mounted in a case.

[quote=“Som” post=81079]Are you sure about the NorCal rule? I don’t have my battery in a marine box and I know of other cars that have been tech’d and not in a marine box, either. I was under the impression the marine box was only necessary if you were going to move the wire inside cabin (inside of the trunk wall).

For my tie down, I created 2 brackets with thread couplers welded to them (similar to Scott’s solution, but I didn’t weld to the trunk floor). I created an L bracket that I bolted to the holes that are in that flange sticking out of the wheel well, and another bracket that I bolted to the flange sticking up at the edge of the trunk floor. The rest is the same idea as

L-bracket bolted to flange on wheel well

Bracket bolted to flange on trunk floor

Som[/quote]

IMO the NASA NorCal tech inspector got a bit overzealous with that call. I’d contact Scott, the NorCal SpecE30 director, for the latest truth on the issue. NASA CCR 18.8 says that the battery needs to be fully covered if it’s in the driver’s compartment. If the trunk is to be considered the driver’s compartment, I’d challenge the inspector to get in the trunk and take the car for a tour of the paddock.

No other region requires that the rear firewall be airtight, nor that our batteries be inside of an enclosure.

That was the case and at the time 2012 we needed to be compliant, the thing is a marine battery box is not completely sealed anyway. It’s an old issue and mostly dead now BUT who knows with NASA, so lots of folks are sporting boxes!

[quote=“Ranger” post=81088]IMO the NASA NorCal tech inspector got a bit overzealous with that call. I’d contact Scott, the NorCal SpecE30 director, for the latest truth on the issue. NASA CCR 18.8 says that the battery needs to be fully covered if it’s in the driver’s compartment. If the trunk is to be considered the driver’s compartment, I’d challenge the inspector to get in the trunk and take the car for a tour of the paddock.

No other region requires that the rear firewall be airtight, nor that our batteries be inside of an enclosure.[/quote]