ABS Retrofit

The purpose of light is to confirm the system is active… Thanks for the bleed tips!

Ranger wrote:

If Fishman doesn’t take you up on your offer for the pump, could I maybe buy it off you? I’m still poking around trying to get my ABS to work as well.

Are abs relays normal relays I can get at autozone? I see 4 different relays on bimmerparts. Fixing the abs on the iX is this weeks project but I didn’t have the foresight to order a relay. Apparently the iX has what looks like rear speed sensors on the front and they aren’t left right specific.

Wondering if I can revive this thread abit?

This goes out to all the guys who posted with help and Fishman, whom I hope his E30 ABS is till running great.

I’ve had my E30 since the 90’s and since I’m going to keep it for many more years, I thought I’d update it somewhat at least in the safety department.

I would like to ask what I would need to get in order to retrofit the ABS system onto an E30 that did not have ABS in the first place.

My front struts and the rear arms have the mounting points for ABS sensors, and the wheel bearings have the sensors wheels already, becasue I upgraded those some time back.

For wiring I would guess I should find some donor harness and separate out the ABS related wires just like Fishman did with his?

Where is the ABS light supposed to be? In the instrument cluster?

Other than that, sensors, ABS unit, brake lines?

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks!

Fish is in Afghanistan for a while bringing the American way to the heathens so he can’t help. I can only barely help because I’ve not done what you intend.

The ABS pump will be easy to source. They’re all over ebay and your local PickNPull. If all else fails I’ve a couple in the attic parts depot.

The ABS light is in the dash. It has to functional for the system to be functional.

There’s an ABS relay that goes under the dash too. It has a fusible link which is a common problem point. The relay goes for ~$25.

You’ve already read up on the wiring, which I’ve no clue about.

Redoing the plumbing is going to be no picnic. They don’t sell the plumbing pre-bent anymore. If you buy it from the dealer, it arrives straight. Best way to get it is to find someone with a parts car. Each brake line fastener has to be torched or you’ll never get it off w/o damaging the hex surface. Torching and removing lines at a PickNPull ought to be do-able I suppose, if a lousy way to spend a Saturday. Even if you went to a PickNPull and cut the plumbing out, that would at least give you a guide as to how to bend the straight pieces from the dealer.

Thinking out of the box…you could have a hydraulic shop custom make -3AN SS hose for you.

Would this be it, and does it look complete? If yes, I should get it asap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180991846333?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

[quote=“ForeverE30” post=69048]Would this be it, and does it look complete? If yes, I should get it asap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180991846333?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619[/quote]
I don’t know if it’s complete, but it’s a helova find. Buy it.

Note that there’s 2 different kinds of proportioning valves. The one in the pic is the one that goes on the fender below the MC. The other kind fastens to the underside of the MC. The piping is different for each type so be prepared for your car to be different than what is pictured. But since most or all of the piping is included in this purchase, if you have to change prop valves that’d probably be the easier course of action.

Ok, went ahead and bought it. What else do I need?

ABS Pump
ABS Control Unit
Wiring (will figure this one out later)
ABS Sensors for 4 corners
ABS Relay

Is the ABS Master Cylinder different from the non-ABS MC?

Your list looks good to me.

I’ve not heard that the MC’s are different and I don’t know why they would be. That’s not all that conclusive tho. I’d go with it. The lord looks after the sunny optimist.

Non capitalized “lord” meant to apply to everyone from Atheist to Mooney.

Just did lots of eBay shopping all in one go!

Looks like I’ve managed to get everything even the wiring harness uncut front to back and relay attached.

Once everything is consolidated and on the floor, I’ll come back and get more guidance from you guys. Hopefully Fishman will be around to help by then, do you think?

One challenge is finding out where everything goes, since my car doesn’t and hasn’t had any of these parts on it before!

That was a good find on ebay.
IIRC Fish is looking at 13months starting about 5 days ago.

Yikes. ok. Might need some help from you guys with ABS to guide me as to where some of the components should reside. Like, where the Control Unit is supposed to mount to, or where the ABS Pump is supposed to bracket to, how the wiring is routed, etc.

[attachment=1900]168.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1901]169_2012-10-23.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1902]2011-12-1920.30.21.jpg[/attachment]

This is from an 89 325i. You should be able to see where the brackets go, and maybe some of the lines. The wires were mounted with the rest of the body harness and I think the abs unit was to the left of the steering column.

Thanks for the pics!

Are you doing a full restoration on your e30? Looks really good.

From your pictures, it looks as though I will have to fabricate the mounting tabs on the body in the engine bay for the ABS pump unit, as my car does not have those mounting points that hold the round rubber bushings.

These pictures are from spring. I guess you could call it an engine bay restoration.

Looks like I need to buy the 3 brackets that the ABS pump mounts to in the engine bay in front of the left wheel arch. The part numbers are 41111922477, 41111922478 and 41111922479, but I think they are NLA.

Where can I get them?

I dont mind used brackets, but I think theyd need to be cut out of a car.

They are number #1, #2 and #3 in the diagram below.

I wouldn’t even try buying them. I doubt you could get them at the dealer in the first place.

You are going to need to find a local junkyard/pick and pull and get them off a car or find someone that has a parts car that will sell them to you. I would check with Al (wabmw25@aol.com).

I’ve got the wiring harness on the floor, and I’ve got so many questions!

This is how it looks.

Overall view:

In-car portion of harness:

Engine Bay portion of harness:

I need help to identify Connections A, B, C, D and E. I have close ups and color descriptions of them:

Where on the car do they connect to?

I’ve also got an ABS wiring diagram for an '88, not sure if it’s the correct one?