Winding Road Racing - supporting racing with info, products and services from the perspective of the novice, the student and the fan of the underdog.
Welcome, Guest

Pinched fuel line
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pinched fuel line

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 11 months ago #53900

• Rob in VA
  • ( User )
Z3SpdDmn wrote:
andrew240z wrote:
BTW, most of us smash that line ourselves by jacking the car up and missing that frame rail. Done that more than once

Yup, that's why I ended up replacing my lines. I got new ones from the dealer. There were rubber lines coming down from the engine compartment and rubber lines back at the filter/pump, leading up to the tank. It was a pretty easy job.

Yup - I didn't want to admit it, , but after some thinking back, that's exactly I did.

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 11 months ago #53954

• Rob in VA
  • ( User )
I'm trying to figure out what the correct part number is of the line that ideally needs to be replaced.

I traced the line back to the engine compartment and it goes to the carbon canister. So the diagram that I originally posted is for the wrong lines.

This is the correct area -

www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=1113&mospid=47309&hg=16&fg=10

Also it looks like I might have to drop the gas tank to get to the connection hose. The other two lines, are below/along side the tank, but this hard line goes to the top.

I still can't put my finger on the right part number.

Andrew - do you remember?

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 11 months ago #53958

We didnt replace the lines, hasnt affected performance. you have something else going on unless the line isnt allowing any flow

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 11 months ago #53961

• Rob in VA
  • ( User )
andrew240z wrote:
We didnt replace the lines, hasnt affected performance. you have something else going on unless the line isnt allowing any flow

The car was running great at Road Atlanta. Recently the FPR was changed and the line was pinched. So I'm guessing it's one or the other.

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 10 months ago #53976

• 87isMan
  • ( User )
The return line off the charcoal canister is just for vapor. If that is the pinched line I wouldn't worry about it so much unless it is completely closed.

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 10 months ago #53982

• mahoneyj
  • ( User )
I don't think its worth replacing that line since its not critical. Just cut out the pinched piece and put a patch in. And you may not even need to do that. I don't think that is making your car run rough.

That part of the systems is all about trying to be environmentally friendly with gas vapor.

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 10 months ago #53986

• E30KDG
  • ( User )
I see you replaced the fuel pressure regulator, but you say that may be at fault. I just recently replaced the fuel pressure regulator on a MINI. It was causing a rough idle and hesitation, so that could also be your problem. I checked it with a fuel pressure gauge and it wasn't holding proper pressure at idle, it was actually 10psi lower than the residual pressure from the pump. After the repair the idle was smooth and no hesitation.... Could be your idle problem.

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 10 months ago #53988

• Rob in VA
  • ( User )
E30KDG wrote:
I see you replaced the fuel pressure regulator, but you say that may be at fault. I just recently replaced the fuel pressure regulator on a MINI. It was causing a rough idle and hesitation, so that could also be your problem. I checked it with a fuel pressure gauge and it wasn't holding proper pressure at idle, it was actually 10psi lower than the residual pressure from the pump. After the repair the idle was smooth and no hesitation.... Could be your idle problem.

Good to know. I plan on swapping out the FPR with the previous one before tackling the fuel line.

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 10 months ago #53989

• Rob in VA
  • ( User )
mahoneyj wrote:
I don't think its worth replacing that line since its not critical. Just cut out the pinched piece and put a patch in. And you may not even need to do that. I don't think that is making your car run rough.

That part of the systems is all about trying to be environmentally friendly with gas vapor.

Good tip. Thank you.

Re:Pinched fuel line 3 years, 10 months ago #54174

• Rob in VA
  • ( User )
The rough idle was attributed to the FPR I swapped earlier. Apparently it was clogged up because when I disconnected it from the fuel rail it went shooting across the shop propelled by gas. Whoops.
  • Page:
Winding Road Racing - supporting racing with info, products and services from the perspective of the novice, the student and the fan of the underdog.
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds