Brought to you by Garagistic.com - specializing in E30 drivetrain and suspension performance
Welcome, Guest

Running SE30 in SCCA ITS
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Sponsored by WindingRoadRacing.com – carrying all the gear you need to go faster
  • Page:

TOPIC: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS

Re: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS 4 months, 3 weeks ago #83398

• cwbaader
  • ( User )
The springs are not that far off what I ran. I used 400/600 front and rear and the largest sway bars I could find. In the end, I made my own bars that were stiffer than any available.
There is absolutely no substitute for good double adjustable shocks.
Hoosiers have a learning curve, but when you hit the sweet spot...WOW!!!

Re: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS 4 months, 3 weeks ago #83399

• kgobey
  • ( User )
100% agree, the springs are OK.

I bought the TMS J-Stock shocks for the rear. I am thinking about buying Ground Control Koni front shocks and shorten my strut tubes, I need to have shorter front struts to get the ride height where I need it and still maintain wheel travel.

The other low hanging fruit item is that chip... The TMS/Conforti Chip is a real looser as far as cost.per.second relative to lowering lap times. There is Mark D'Sylva in Canada who will create an inexpensive custom tune for the E30, but he needs me to buy $300+ of analysis equipment to facilitate this. SO Megasquirt might be in my future.
Kieran Gobey
MCSCC ITS E30 #16

Re: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS 4 months, 3 weeks ago #83400

• cwbaader
  • ( User )
Remember, when you shorten the strut tubes, you must go to 2.5" springs. To achieve proper ride height, you will need 2.25 x 5" springs in the rear.
The PNP megasquirt will get you probably 10hp. Another help is a good header, like a Stahl, and proper SHORT exhaust.
I have published my setup on here before, but if you need help let me know.

Re: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS 4 months, 3 weeks ago #83401

• kgobey
  • ( User )
Chuck - yeah email me at kgobey at gmail, I would love to plan out the final build with some input.

I have a spare motor I plan to perform an ITS focused .20 over rebuild on.
Kieran Gobey
MCSCC ITS E30 #16

Re: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS 4 months, 3 weeks ago #83402

Wow, lots of good info. Thanks! Probably the first time I run I'll just run as-is. Then maybe try some of the low-hassle mods. Point isn't to replace SE30 racing, just add something different to the schedule.

Kieran, curious why you recommend SM7 takeoffs? It's been a while, but my experience with the Hoo-Hoo R6's was that after 8-12 heat cycles or so, they would drop off by at least a second on a course like, say, Autobahn. Are they that much faster than Toyos that they would still be faster (and worth the expense) even after the drop-off?
Winding Road Racing - supporting racing with info, products and services from the perspective of the novice, the student and the fan of the underdog.

Re: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS 4 months, 3 weeks ago #83403

• kgobey
  • ( User )
The Miata guys will likely do one event, maybe 6 heat cycles on the SM7 Hoosiers. A reputable used race tire dealer will have many good examples lay around for $80 or less each. I get 225/50 for that $ BTW, but fender rolling was necessary for fitting. The SM7 is faster by a good amount over the RR and fits. Even after the drop. If you have room for 225/50 225/45 then, yeah, better still.
Kieran Gobey
MCSCC ITS E30 #16

Re: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS 2 months, 3 weeks ago #83408

• Gman
  • ( User )
Hey Julian, I just wanted to let you know that I was given a SCCA Comp license based on my the fact that I had a NASA license. I did have to get a waiver from the head of our local SCCA Comp Director, no problem. I really enjoy the ITS racing it give you a chance to race against my different type of cars, tons of fun.

Re: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS 2 months, 3 weeks ago #83409

Hey, thanks Greg, that's good to know!

I recently picked up a second race car (Miata) which may be easier to run in SCCA if I decide to. Just trying to maximize my VIR time since it's in my backyard.

Re: Running SE30 in SCCA ITS 2 months, 3 weeks ago #83410

• cwbaader
  • ( User )
In my opinion, a MS tuned correctly even with the Spec exhaust should make almoust 170hp...DynoJet, at the wheels. A chip cannot maximize your motor!!!
4.27 is the ONLY competitive diff for ITS. Spec springs/shocks/sways are close enough to be competitive with the other changes....definitely a podium car depending on who shows at the track that weekend. (There are some wicked fast ITS cars in the South East).
Tires...if you don't want to invest in 225 45 15s, the SM takeoffs will work just fine...however, you will be faster on the wider tires, which also gives a shorter gear ratio.(?)
A 4.27 doff can be sourced from an early 90s 7 car with an auto trans. The guts will interchange without problem between the two housings. I have never used a high lockup diff, so just a .010" shim on the bellville washers will work just fine.
  • Page:
Condor Speed Shop offers a full line of engine, drivetrain and suspension components for the E30 chassis made in the USA
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds